08 August 2009

Second workout complete

CK had to do a workout in preparation for her off-season meet next week (she doesn't have practice in August) so I stood on deck telling her the drills as she went through them. In one sense, she amazes me; in another, it's pretty demoralizing that an 8 year old 58 pound girl can swim so much longer and faster than I can. Here's her workout:

warmup:
100 yards freestyle
100 yards backstroke
100 yards free with mid-pool breaststroke
100 yard IM, kick only with board
100 yard IM, kick only
100 yard IM, swim

Set:
50 yards Free-Back, fast
4x25 easy: free swim, scull, back kick, scull
50 yards Freestyle, fast
4x25 easy: free swim, scull, back kick, scull
50 yards Fly, fast
4x25 easy: free swim, scull, back kick, scull
50 yards Back, fast
4x25 easy: free swim, scull, back kick, scull
50 yards breaststroke, fast
4x25 easy: free swim, scull, back kick, scull

Total = 1350 yards

So, here's what I did to show her up:

4x25 free kick, with a kickboard
2x25 freestyle
2x25 backstroke
2x25 freestyle, fast*
2x25 free kick, kickboard
25 yards freestyle, fast
25 yards freestyle

Total = 350 yards

But notice the asterisk next to the 2x25 freestyle fast; that was my time trial to compare my time to her 36.16 seconds. I was pretty good through my first 25, then did an atrocious turn (apparently CK laughed when she saw it), and halfway through the second 25, I gulped in about a gallon of water and had to stop. I yelled to click the stopwatch, and it was at 47 seconds when I gave up. Ouch, assuming I didn't stop, I would have been lucky to crack a minute. I swam fast to the wall so I could still claim the lap, then did a kickboard lap and decided it was time to lower the ante.

Until she turns 9, she'll still be swimming 25s in competition so I'll compare a 25 yard time to hers. By the time she's 9, I should be able to swim 50 yards at full tilt without drowning and we'll go back to the original plan.

So, she timed me on a 25 and I did a respectable 20.44, less than 4 seconds behind her 16.75. I would be a pretty fast 7 year old if it were 1974!

I can't tell if I'm on plan or behind plan. I did better than I did on Thursday but I don't think I have much of a chance to catch CK any time soon. Once we're on the 50s, I'm much much farther behind. I just have to get fitter and maybe I'll get faster.

More updates to come, I'm doing a mini-swim tomorrow to work on technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment