16 September 2009

What's changed since I started swimming

It's been about a month since I've started swimming so it's time to take stock of my progress. What's better, what's worse, and what's changed.

Better:
  • My stroke looks better. My wife told me that I looked like I was lumbering the first time she saw me try laps. Now she says I look smooth in the water. Yeah, I look smooootthhhh.
  • I can swim more laps but still not as many as I would have expected.
  • I'm a tiny bit faster.
Worse:
  • I'm waking up earlier.
  • I find it normal to walk around in what looks like male lingerie (jammers).
What's changed:
  • I'm drinking less coffee. Don't know why and certainly can't figure out the cause and effect but the timing is too close to be coincidental. This is good, I needed to cut back.
  • Oftentimes, I smell like chlorine. This didn't used to happen.
I still can't beat my daughter but that's a lame goal anyway. Now, I just need to beat Shaq (38.7 in the 50 free). That I can do, especially since it's not a moving target.

But, back to me. I think I'm a better swimmer than I was a month ago, I've kept at it even on mornings I didn't want to get up early, but I still have a LONG way to go fitness-wise. That might be middle-age talking but I can't use that as an excuse. Yet.

After thinking about it, no need to change my goals. Just keep at it and see what's different at the end of another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment