27 August 2010

Crap. I'm losing weight again

I usually don't weigh myself because no news is good news sometimes. But since I got to the pool early this morning and had the option of sitting in the hot tub watching the 6AM people finish their swim or stepping on the scale to kill about 45 seconds, I went with the latter.

Before I get to the heart of the matter, I'd like to point out that I just took about two months off swimming. One month without swimming and then a month of going on days when the masters weren't swimming to try to get myself back in shape. So I should have gained weight.

But I didn't. Not only didn't I gain weight, I'm down two pounds from what I thought was the lowest I could go. And this was before my brutal workout at the hands of the evil Other Coach Bill. Who knows how much I took off during the hour swimming because I was scared to get back on that scale.

Of course, the only option is to eat more. I just have to figure out how to do that. Going to McDonalds isn't too good of an idea because I really like the idea that my cholesterol is low. I think protein rich food will help: almonds, chicken, etc. Maybe an extra almond butter and jelly sandwich in the afternoon would be good too.

I read on the boards that swimming isn't good for weight loss but it sure as heck seems to be doing the trick on one of the few people in the world that doesn't want it. I guess it's better than the alternative but still. And I thought the biggest problem from swimming was going to be smelling like chlorine.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sir,

    I began swimming in June 2009. I have lost about 50#'s, and went down one pant size since I began swimming. Yes, swimming is good for weight loss. It just takes time and perseverance. Over the course of a year I lost 1# per week.

    Kindest Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Summer of 2005 I went to the pool 5 times a week because swimming had become an obsessive passion for me and I had nothing better to do anyway.

    Well I was very lean after that Summer as a lot of my friends noticed.

    I think swimming has a bad reputation for losing weight because either the people don't swim with the right level of intensity or they have eating habits that could be improved (or both :-)

    ReplyDelete