09 September 2009

New workout from swimplan.com

The first time I went to the pool to swim laps, I went armed with a workout from swimplan.com conveniently stuffed into a waterproof sleeve. I was ready for a workout. Reality set in pretty quickly when I figured out I could barely swim.

It's been a month since then and I can swim 800 yards now, including 50 without stopping for a smoke (just kidding I don't smoke). So I'm thinking about trying it again. What the hey hey, might as well have some structure to this thing to keep it interesting. Here's what swimplan came up with (once I decided a kickboard would be cool).

==================================================
Duration 30-45 mins
Distance 800yd

Warm up

• 2 x 50yd Any Stroke (even pace), rest 0:15 / 50yd
Swim your choice of stroke at a steady pace.

Build up (repeat 4 times)

• 1 x 25yd Single Arm with kickboard 6 x left, 6 x right, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle swim using one arm at a time. Complete six arm strokes with the left arm followed by six complete strokes with the right arm. The non-stroking arm holds the kickboard out front and swaps with the stroking arm every six strokes.

• 1 x 25yd Freestyle Kick with kickboard, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle kicking using a kickboard. Grip the front and rest your forearms on the board. Your chin should just touch the water.

Core

• 4 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:35 / 50yd
Freestyle swim, starting every 50yd set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have.

• 2 x 50yd Freestyle Kick with kickboard, rest 0:20 / 50yd
Freestyle kicking using a kickboard. Grip the front and rest your forearms on the board. Your chin should just touch the water.

• 2 x 50yd Freestyle DPS, rest 0:15 / 50yd
Freestyle swim with maximum Distance Per Stroke (DPS). Concentrate on long, efficient strokes and a high streamlined body position to reduce drag in the water. Count your strokes per lap and try to reduce.

Warm down

• 1 x 100yd Freestyle Easy, rest 0:20 / 100yd
Freestyle swim at a slow, relaxed pace.

==================================================

It seems harder than what I usually do and gives one key component. If I vow to follow it, I'll have to push off the wall when it tells me to push off the wall. If it says 50, then I can't stop halfway through. If it says 1:35, then I can't hang out 5 seconds longer. I think it will help. I'll know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment